[Ossm-members] Re: Two Macedonias

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Sat Sep 25 12:47:51 UTC 2004

(CC list reduced as of the request of George)

Quoting Ognyan Kulev (ogi at fmi.uni-sofia.bg):
> Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> >I am a member of a Macedonian mailing list so I can tell you what the
> >macedonians wrote. (http://hedona.on.net.mk/mailman/listinfo/ossm-members)
>
> >Yes, they prefer "Macedonia" to "Macedonia, Rep. of".  However they
> >would also accept "Macedonia, Rep. of" because this is the
> >constitutional name of their country and not something attached to
> >them by someone else.
>
> I read the 2 relevant threads in this list.  Unfortunately, there isn't
> any sign of opinion about "Macedonia (Slav)".

Well, I have the feeling that it may be offensive to non slavic
minorities in MK, if there are some.

So, keeping a non "ethnic" name (sorry for the bad word...no offense
intended) sounds better to me and this is why I would tend to favour
"Republic of Macedonia" or "Macedonian Republic" (the latter is better
for sorting issues).