[Ossm-members] Re: Makedonija vo debian [NEWS]

Новица Наков novica at bagra.org
Sat Apr 17 23:12:04 UTC 2004

Marko Simendić wrote:

> The problem is in
> following the ISO-3166 standard (in iso-codes package) by which every
> country has a short and a long name (the both names for Macedonia seem to
> be FYRM). Debian maintainers wish to avoid interfering in politics by
> following the standard.

What the Debian maintainers (and few more in the FLOSS world) are failing to
realize is that the ISO-3166 comes from politics. The ISO-3166 standard
comes from the UN list of countries. The UN list of countries is influenced
by lobby groups, politicians, etc. that work hard to succeed in doing what
they do.

I don't know much about the China/Taiwan issue, and I don't like to compare
it with the Macedonia/Greece issue.

The Debian maintainers should, instead of looking into "standards", look
into international law. The UN charter is a good place to start. People
could tell a lot of stories, and histories about Macedonia. But the fact is
that in the Balkans, there is a small country that wants to call it self
Macedonia. The UN charter grants this (human) right.

--
Novica

Don't you F.Y.R.O.M. me!