[2s.mk-friends] Help the protests this Saturday

Blagoj Kapsarov kapsarovb at on.net.mk
Thu Feb 9 19:02:04 UTC 2012

Hi--

Together, we beat SOPA in a huge victory for internet freedom.  But this
Saturday, internet freedom protests are breaking out in over 200 cities
across Europe.  Why?

*Because the companies behind SOPA are using international trade
agreements as a backdoor to pass SOPA-style laws*
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fe3/3425153949/VEsH/>

SOPA's supporters are pushing two agreements: ACTA and TPP^1 .  ACTA
would criminalize users, encourage internet providers to spy on you, and
make it easier for media companies to sue sites out of existence and
jail their founders.  Sound familiar?**That's right, ACTA is from the
same playbook as SOPA, but global.  Plus it didn't even have to pass
through Congress^2 .

TPP goes even farther than ACTA, and the process has been even more
secretive and corrupt.  Last weekend (we wish this was a joke) *trade
negotiators partied with MPAA (pro-SOPA) lobbyists before secret
negotiations in a Hollywood hotel, while public interest groups were
barred from meeting in the same building.*^3

Trade agreements are a gaping loophole, a secretive backdoor track
that--even though it creates new laws--is miles removed from
democracy.  Trade negotiators are unelected and unaccountable, so these
agreements have been /very/ hard for internet rights groups to stop.

But now the tide is turning.  Fueled by the movement to stop SOPA,
anti-ACTA protests are breaking out across the EU, which hasn't ratified
ACTA. *The protests are having an impact: leaders in Poland, the Czech
Republic, and Slovakia have backtracked on ACTA.*^4 _*Now a massive
round of street protests in over 200 cities is planned for this Saturday
February 11th.*_

We're planning an online protest this Saturday to support the protests
in the streets.  Why?  Because together we can drive millions of emails
to key decision makers--and start tipping the scales like we did on SOPA.

*Can you take part?  Click here to get the code to run on your site!*
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fe0/3425153949/VEsE/>

We just built an ACTA & TPP contact tool, and it's not just a
petition.   It's code for your site that figures out the visitor's
country and lets them email all their Members of European
Parliament--the politicians who will be voting on ACTA in June--or the
trade negotiators behind TPP. *This direct contact between voters and
their officials, driven by websites of all sizes, was instrumental in
the fight against SOPA. ***

We can use the same tactics to defeat ACTA & TPP, but we need your help!

*Support the street protests with a flood of emails to the officials
responsible for ACTA & TPP.  Get the code for your website!*
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fe0/3425153949/VEsF/>

*Don't have a website?  Tell officials in your country to scrap ACTA &
TPP!   And spread the word about Saturday's protests! *
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fe3/3425153949/VEsC/>

This is going to be tough fight.  But we need to make secretive trade
agreements harder to pass than US law.  If we don't, our internet's
future belongs to the lobbyists behind SOPA.

This is just the beginning,

--Holmes Wilson, Tiffiniy Cheng, Joshua Blount & the whole Fight for the
Future team.

P.S. This *map of ACTA street protests in Europe*
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fe1/3425153949/VEsD/>
is amazing. The largest has almost 50,000 RSVP's!

<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fee/3425153949/VEsA/>
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fef/3425153949/VEsB/>

Sources:

1. For more information on ACTA, read these excellent articles from
*Techdirt*
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fec/3425153949/VEsO/>
and *La Quadrature du Net*
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fed/3425153949/VEsP/>.
For information on TPP, read this *Ars Technica*
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fea/3425153949/VEsHBQ/>
piece. For video, *watch this*
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863feb/3425153949/VEsHBA/>.

2. Obama's signing of ACTA may have been unconstitutional. See
*Anti-counterfeiting agreement raises constitutional concerns*
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fe8/3425153949/VEsHBw/>
and *Techdirt*
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fe9/3425153949/VEsHBg/>.

3. *Hollywood gets to party with TPP negotiators, public interest groups
get thrown out of the hotel.*
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fd6/3425153949/VEsHAQ/>

4. *Ars Technica: Czech, Slovak governments backing away from ACTA,
too.*
<http://act.fightforthefuture.org/page/m/2e1f20ae/1d182024/706ab818/f863fd7/3425153949/VEsHAA/>

This email was sent to:
kapsarovb at gmail.com